Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Introduction to the Project

I was invited by CEC Arts Link, an organization that facilitates artist exchanges to Russia and Central Asia, to do community-based public art projects in two Russian cities in Fall 2009. I will spend a week in Krasnoyarsk, Siberia, from Nov 14-23, then St. Petersburg for 3 weeks, Nov 24-Dec 14. In Krasnoyarsk, I will do a short workshop with a group of about 20 partcipants aged approx. 16-25, from different schools around Krasnoyarsk. This will culminate in a public art project for an interior space in a local school. In St. Petersburg, I will work with a school for deaf and hearing impaired children to do a portable community mural for the school, engaging the students and teachers in the process. 

This blog will document my work in both cities, and hopefully generate some ideas about public art's ability to trascend traditional barriers of language, culture, and time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment